Thursday, March 30, 2006

A Bridge Too Far

A Bridge Too Far was on tonight... one of my all-time favorite movies. It starred, among others, Dirk Bogarde, James Caan , Michael Caine , Sean Connery , Edward Fox , Elliott Gould , Gene Hackman , Anthony Hopkins , Ryan O'Neal , Laurence Olivier , Robert Redford , Maximilian Schell , Liv Ullmann and scores of others. This epic movie about Operation Market Garden, the attempt by the Allies to catch the Germans by surprise in 1944 and capture several bridges in Holland to prepare for an invasion of the German industrial regions near the Rhine, is near perfect.

A close second favorite of mine is Battle of the Bulge, with two of my all-time favorite actors Henry Fonda and Robert Shaw .

I think because I was born not too long after WWII, my father was a veteran of the war, my mother was a teenager in Holland during the war, I have family members that live in or near virtually every major battlefield, and I've personally been to those sites, that WWII movies hold a special place in my heart. Posted by Picasa

No comments: