Friday, August 25, 2006

Pelican rescue!

Well... the fishing was OK tonight, lots of wind and high surf, but the kids each caught a fish. I caught a fish as well, but spent most of the time baiting hooks and untangling line (not mine) , LOL! There were pelicans everywhere diving into the water and coming up with fish, so they were out there... we just weren't catching many of them ;-)

Around 7pm I noticed that a fisherman not far from us had accidentally hooked a pelican in the neck with a treble hook (3-pronged hook). He was just reeling the poor thing in and it was taking off and falling back into the water flailing about trying to get away. I ran over down the rocks and into the water and grabbed it's bill and held it's wings and tried to calm it down. Amazingly it stopped fighting and just looked at me, I guess realizing I meant it no harm.

I had Kiersten go back to my tackle box and get my wire cutters. Very carefully I cut each of the three barbs off as close as I could to the center shaft and then removed the hook. It was bleeding some, but I looked carefully at the wound and decided that it was a superficial wound and that he would be OK if I released him. As soon as I let him go he flew into the wind and glided away.

So... needless to say... catching fish, rescuing a pelican and an incredible sunset... the kids couldn't stop talking about how cool the day turned out! Posted by Picasa

No comments: