Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Try-outs!

Well, tonight Kiersten tried out for a part in a play. She'd never done anything like this before so we really didn't know what to expect.

It was cool... just like in the movies... the director sat in the middle of the audience, in the dark, calling out numbers and instructions.

I've always known she had a great voice because we always sing in the car... like always... no... I really mean always... and her voice, right behind me, is incredible (and makes me and Kees sound terrible)! Of all the people trying out she was the only one that seemed to be on-key the entire time! My only criticism would be that she wasn't projecting very well. I think she's capable of singing louder and just doesn't realize how loud you have to sing in a theater.

There were some kids with very average voices but had that typical exaggerated, overly-dramatic stage persona (on and off the stage). That's probably great for the stage, but (I'm sorry to say this) that just rubs me the wrong way. Not just the kids, but with anyone. I was raised very European, very salt-of-the-earth, very real... no facades... what you see is what you get, and I'm proud that my kids are like that... they're secure, real and comfortable in their own skin.

So, Kiersten was out there singing it her way and I was proud of her! Posted by Picasa

No comments: